Bisphenol-A, commonly known as BPA, is hardener component of polycarbonate plastics and epoxy resins.
Bisphenol A is chemical that is used in manufacturing of:
- Polycarbonate plastic used for making water bottles. The harder the plastic, more are the chances that it might have BPA. The plastic that has recycle sign with number 7(rather than 1,2,3,4,5) in the center is likely to contain BPA according to Wikipedia.
- Resin lining of cans used for food and beverages.
- Dental sealants
- Electronic devices including CD, DVD etc.
- Medical devices used during Cardiopulmonary bypass and Dialysis.
- Thermal paper used for sales receipt, movie tickets, toilet paper, newspaper, napkins etc. has BPA that easily leaches out into your hand and might be ingested as well.
Various studies have shown that BPA is not good for health and causes severe health alterations which affect the body, such as:
- Breast Cancer
- Early Puberty
- Heart Disease
- Infertility in Males and Females
- Negative brain cognitive effects
One section of the public consider it to be harmless. They believe “The press and some researchers won’t give up because they want to continue making money. It has been studied in thousands of studies and the FDA conclusion is that it has very minimal potency and does not cause adverse effects from those products. The baby bottle nipple crisis from several years ago was bogus.”